With Memorial Day Weekend behind us, it is now the perfect time of year to have backyard BBQs, swimming pool parties, and picnics with family and friends. If you are looking for something fun to bring to your next gathering, you can opt for boring potato or macaroni salads, but to bring life to the party, try making the “perfect” dessert: parfait.
Parfaits are deliciously wonderful and easy to make desserts that can be customized to suit adult tastes (Gran Marnier drizzle, anyone?) or made with sweet fruit for the kiddos, too! Parfait, which translates from French as “perfect,” is traditionally a frozen dessert made from sugar syrup, egg, and cream, but here in the US, we have created our own version that is a layered treat that can include cake, custards, fruits, and whipped cream. Originally served on decorative plates, today’s parfaits are layered together in a clear, tall glass. The perfect parfait is so pretty, you’ll hesitate to eat it!
Parfaits are also celebrated on a national level twice a year: once on May 1st for National Chocolate Parfait Day and again on November 25th which is National Parfait Day. It makes sense that there would be two days for such a delicious dessert because who wouldn’t want to eat parfait? What’s even better is that parfaits can be made light with perfectly aerated whipped cream and fresh berries, or decadently delicious with custard and dark chocolate shavings.
The most difficult part of making a parfait with cake is the actual baking of the cake. Luckily, we at Ne-Mo’s have you covered with our delicious pound cakes. With a variety of options available, from Marble to Chocolate Chip Puddin’, the opportunities to mix and match parfait toppings are endless. Our pound cakes are made from the classic traditions found in the home-style cooking you love. We use rich, sweet cream, eggs fresh from the farm, and real butter folded together with other high-quality ingredients to make these deceptively simple treats.
Try topping off our Lemon Pound Cake with fresh blueberries as a delightfully refreshing summer treat. Show off your kitchen fireworks on the Fourth by mixing the All Butter Pound Cake with blueberries and strawberries topped with whipped cream to show your red, white, and blue patriotism!
During the winter months, heavenly decadent chocolate parfaits are a great treat for the holidays (think pumpkin spice parfait and you will wish it was November!), but during the heat of summer, light and fruity pound cake parfaits are the way to go. With fresh berries, ripe stone fruit, and bright citrus all in season, you will find yourself craving this recipe for the months to come. In order to taste all the fresh ingredients, our supremely light and airy Golden Pound Cake is the perfect companion to whipped cream and fresh fruits. When you are out at the store picking up ingredients, make sure you grab extra Ne-Mo’s pound cake and keep it in the freezer until your next parfait adventure: all you have to do is defrost the cake in the microwave before mixing it with the rest of your ingredients.
Next time you need to make a dessert for a summer gathering, try this summer treat: your guests will think you spent hours on this beautifully layered dessert. By sandwiching the pound cake between the fresh fruit and whipped cream, the cake will absorb some of the flavors, giving you a well-balanced and sweet treat!
Summer Fruit Parfait with Ne-Mo’s Golden Pound Cake
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Servings: Six 6 oz parfaits
- 1 pint of fresh raspberries
- 1 pint of fresh blueberries
- 2 fresh peaches, pitted and cubed
- 2 cups of heavy whipping cream, chilled*
- 1/3 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 12 oz of Ne-Mo’s Golden Pound Cake
- 6 oz of Gran Marnier (optional, adults-only)
- Add chilled heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla to a bowl. Using a hand or stand mixer, whip on high until stiff peaks form.
- While the cream is whipping, defrost the pound cake if frozen. Cut the pound cake into bite-sized pieces, about 1×1 inch.
- To assemble: add a tablespoon of whipped cream to the bottom of the parfait glass. You can use a spoon or pastry bag to complete this step. Top whipped cream with a 2 oz of cubed Ne-Mo’s Golden Pound cake. Top pound cake with 2 oz of berries and peaches. Top fruit with more whipped cream and garnish with a couple of raspberries, blueberries, and cubed peaches. Repeat this step for the remaining five parfait glasses.
- Drizzle 1 oz of Gran Marnier on top, if using
- Serve immediately, or let the flavors marry by chilling in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
*homemade whipping cream is best suited for this dessert as it layers betters than the canned or tub whipped creams.